Your child would probably like to have a pet of their own, a true friend they can play with and spend memorable moments together. Getting them an animal will definitely be a new responsibility for you as well. Here are the best pets for kids and how to choose them.
Keep these in mind when choosing
Your kid’s new pet is going to need space and will have a number of necessities you have to give it. Before choosing a species, you should answer a few questions like:
- How much time do you have?
- Do you have money and condition for a pet?
- What will you do with it when taking a vacation?
- Are your family with the species you are going to choose?
- Is anyone allergic to pets?
Although your child is the one that wants a pet at the time being, you will probably have a great role and a lot of work with taking care of your pet. Still, if you decide to have a pet, you have to teach your child how to take care of their new friend. This will teach your kid what responsibility means and also give them a great friend. Here are a few species you could choose from:
Pets for kids: which one should it be?
- Cats: they are usually top choice for pets in flats. They are quite easy to take care of, don’t have too many special needs and get along very well with kids. Moreover, they love to play and adore it when someone is petting them. Yet, your kid will have to learn not to ‘bother’ your cat when it is not in the mood. Trust me, it won’t be happy about it.
- Dogs:they are extremely good pets for kids. They are great friends and love to go with you everywhere. They are a lot more complicated to take care of, as they need more space and walks 2-3 times a day. Furthermore, there is a long list of breeds you could choose from, so give it some thought and even consult a specialist.
- Guinea pigs: they are cute little animals that love to be hugged and petted. They are great pets for kids older than four but you should never leave them alone. Guinea pigs tend to get scared quite easily and need a lot of patience. If you stay with them most of the time – they really don’t like being alone-, you will really don’t have any problems with it them.
- Hamster: they are very active, like to climb, run and jump. They can give you a real show if you watch them, so you’ll definitely have fun with them. However, your kid might get easily bored, as hamsters don’t really need the presence of people. Furthermore, they just love to escape and catching them is a real art.
- Fish: they are a good choice for teenagers fond of aquatic life. They should like watching and learning about them. Additionally, the water must be changed and the fish must get food. If your kid is too young but would really like fish, choose a smaller aquarium with two or three bigger exotic fish. Then you can start teaching them what to do with their pets.
These are the best pets for kids. You should make the choice based on your family’s needs and possibilities and your preferences. If you are thinking about buying or even adopting pets for Christmas, you should probably read this, too. If you are really sure you want pets for your kids, think about it and then choose the one you feel like. Good luck!